Sunday, May 24, 2009

Four For Friday #1

Four For Friday


Yes, I am aware that it is Sunday, not Friday, but I don't care. I really meant to respond to these questions on Friday, but as you may have noticed I am a bit of a procrastinator. I still wanted to participate and this is my blog, so I can do Friday memes on Sunday if I want to. So there...

Q1 - Pillow Talk: Over a quarter of UK employees are so work obsessed they can't resist using a mobile device such as a laptop in bed before they go to sleep, according to a survey released this week by CREDANT Technologies. The survey discovered that of those people who do work in bed, 57% do so for between 2 and 6 hours every week, while nearly 10% admitted they spend more time on their mobile devices during the evening than talking to their loved ones (i.e., husbands or wives). Do you work at night while in bed (hey, it's a serious question... get your mind out of the gutter)?
I have to put a bit of effort into leaving work at work, because honestly I love my job. I do draw the line at bringing the computer to bed with me, however. I typically read while the hubby watches a bit of TV to wind down. We make a real effort to go to bed together most nights. Bedtime and dinnertime are the real "us" times around here.

Q2 - Staying Home: Nearly 350 Boulder, Colo. teachers played hooky this week in protest of that town's school district's latest teacher contract offer. Last week, contract negotiations broke down between the Boulder Valley School District and the local teachers' union, the Boulder Valley Education Association. The union wants a permanent cost-of-living increase to the pay scale, but the school district says it does not have the guaranteed revenue to make that change. Do you think certain 'essential' professionals -- such as teachers, firemen, doctors & nurses -- should be barred by law from walking out and striking, or is going on strike as American as musicals, college football, and apple pie, and therefore should never be viewed as illegal?
I don't know that making the practice illegal would do any good, but I am not sure that walking out or going on strike does these or other professions any good. In my opinion when these practices are used the strikers tend to loss public sympathy which typically hurts their cause.

Q3 - Turning Around and Going Back: Everyone's done it at some point in their lives... forgotten something at home or work and had no choice but to turn around, go back and retrieve what was forgotten or left behind. When was the last time you had to do this, how long did it take, and what was it that you forgot in the first place?
I did this a few months ago. I left the house without my laptop. Luck for me I only made it half way to the freeway before I realized my mistake. I commute over an hour, so I was so glad I remembered only ten minutes from home.

Q4 - Different Path: Assuming you had never gone into the career you are currently in, what would be doing now professionally?
This is a tough one. I basically fell into the career I have now and fell in love with it. I would like to think that had this not happened I would have gone back to school, but who really knows? I use to want to go into psychology before construction built me up.

0 comments:

 
The Curious Mind of Me © 2007 Template feito por Templates para Você